Design a travel experience for the next era of travel. Thinking about seamless experiences that goes beyond getting to the destination and getting back home. Think about how your travel experiences change over time, what does the interaction look like 2 weeks before, vs the day of and how does the technology adjust to accommodate?
The goal of this project is to follow the design process start to finish by leveraging all that we have learned so far in the course, both the theory and the tactical. As always if at any time you would like a critique drop me a line! Look forward to seeing your designs!
Document this project in Figma with 1 page for the final presentation and any number of pages for all your working thoughts and ideas / milestones. Make sure to name your pages accordingly.
This project should cross both desktop web and mobile experiences but can go beyond that if you would like to explore other form factors such as smart watches or smart displays!
This Project also has Figma template to help you get started.
Feel free to leverage existing resources available in the Figma community:
The results of this work will be a series of designs and workflows that share the story you want to tell through the travel journey, with the goal of exploring mobile and desktop experiences as the base.
Milestone 1: Planning & Research
Due: Nov 30th This first milestone will help you set up the scope of work and step into the larger project/design process. Your project plan will callout all pages you would like to include include in the design to create the full experience. This milestone should include:
- Experience Timeline Think about how the experience changes over time. What does the interaction look like 2 weeks before vs the day of and how does the technology adjust to accommodate? Template (30 points)
- Research in the form of commentary on existing travel experiences, such as noting the usability heuristics and user’s mental model. (20 points)
- Design inspiration from site like Dribbble or other products in the world speculative or real products, with documented comments and question about the work. (20 points)
- Lots of sketches on different idea, thinking about the divergent phase of the process. Explore many different ideas across all the pages you will be designing. (20 points)
- Questions that come to mind that aid in further research. The more the merrier! (10 points)
Milestone 2: First Review
Due: Dec 4th This second milestone transforms your ideas into designs that look and feel more like a real product, accounting for user workflows and visual design details.
- Hi-fi designs, produce high-fidelity designs transforming your ideas into works that look closer to reality (40 points)
- Presentation, present your hi-fi designs in a way that clearly states your problem solving. Think about composing a presentation that helps you capture constructive comments from the design crit. Start to think about what story you would like to tell. (20 points)
- Critique, design crit plays a major role in the design process. Leave at least 3 constructive comments on each of your classmate’s projects (15 points) (Due Dec 5th)
Milestone 3: Final Presentation
Due: Dec 9th The final product, a culmination of the full process from research to solution. Your design proposal and a representation of all your process done to date. Of course through out the project you can go back and add to any phase of the process that helps you refine your final solution.
- Iterations from open question and critique comments, explore both divergent and convergent ideas (25 points)
- A clear presentation of your solution and process. Think about the problems you are solving, how you solved it and what next steps might look like. If you were to put this into your portfolio how would you want to showcase this work? (50 points)
This assignment will account for 250 points.
- Milestone 1: 100 points
- Milestone 2: 75 points
- Milestone 3: 75 points